I have a 73 ford that has a 360 in it. It get fuel and fire but won't start and stay runing we have put new spark plugs,spark plug wires and it still won't start? Ant thing helps let me no if you no what is rong

20

Asked by Jan 05, 2016 at 06:20 PM

Won't start but has ever thing needs to start

56,855

If you have spark and fuel and it still won't run do a compression test. If all cylinders test low or zero it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
19,725

If it had "ever thing needs" it would start- something is missing- that is a simple, old machine- should be easy to find the missing piece of the puzzle-

143,405

I agree with Jim. I have a 1976 F250. You can do the old-fashion way of testing to see if you have spark, with a helper, stick a screwdriver in a spark plug wire and hold the stem of screwdriver near the tip of plug and have somebody crank the engine. If you see a nice cobalt-blue spark, that's good. If you see a yellow-ish spark that is a weak spark. And tap on the carb to make sure the float is not stuck. Otherwise, all Jim said.

143,405

Hello gentlemen

143,405

I agree with jamnblues also... we were typing at same time

37,975

Good Evening everyone...

56,855

Hi guys. Yup you need 3 things for it to run. Spark, fuel, and compression. HTH. -Jim

20

We got it to start but won't stay runing there is blue smoke coming from the top of the motor. And all of you guys were a lot of help thank you all

56,855

You're welcome. Glad to help. Where exactly is the smoke coming from on the motor? -Jim