Transmission

Asked by Dec 25, 2015 at 06:13 PM

Bought a 98 Holiday Rambler motor home with Ford transmission. Shifts rough in all gears. Took short trip and lost some fluid. Added fluid. Drove to shop apx 150 miles. Shop rebuilt transmission and added a cooler. Still shifts a little hard from 1st to 2nd but much improved. Drove 100 miles and lost all fluid. Towed to shop. Shop replaced seal. Drove 150 miles with no problem. Next day it would not go over 35 mph without RPM getting too high. Added fluid but not sure if it was low. Still did not shift properly. Checked fluid a month later and appeared to be over filled. Drained about a quart. Drove back to shop. Shop said fluid was low. I explained that it was not low and that I had just checked it. Shop said they added several quarts and will put in a larger cooler but I think there is something else wrong. Any ideas?

250,835

Hard to say without knowing what your shop did. I assume you have a warranty? Transmissions don't like heat and low fluid. Get the leaks and seals fixed first and a constant fluid level. Damage might have been done running with too much or too low a fluid after the rebuild depending on how long you drove like that or towed. Good Luck!

50,745

Sounds like someone did a poor job fixing your transmission. Transmissions do not use oil, they leak it. Running it low on fluid and getting it hot will ruin a transmission really fast. Overfilling it will also cause problems. I would say take it to another shop.