Ignition nightmare

Asked by Dec 23, 2015 at 08:01 PM

I bought a 1999 c3500 srw 2wd. 5.7. Former reefer slide in truck. Sat most of its days
parked next to salt water. Jumped it sounded like it had no compression. After a few tries
all the valves started to open and close. Nice! * BUT,  had a skip. Tried the usual plugs
wires. Took it to my usual mechanic, he pulled a crank / cam correlation code. Put used
cam sensor rotor. No change. Did a ton of reading and watched a lot of you tube. Brought
it back to mechanic asked him to recheck claimed it's going to be a long process. I told
him to install a distributor but refused. Found a shop to do it, runs like a top. Reason
being is RUST on the part that turns through the crank sensor. Which first guy should
have seen when he replaced the sensor. Ran great all day, started raining getting a bit of
chatter at stoplights. Possibilities, crank sensor seal? Water got in the new cap.
Otherwise this truck is super powerful and sounds great with free flow catless duel
exhaust. To be continued.....

20,525

My nightmares are all free- I would never start paying for them-