I'm looking at a 2009 ford flex limited with 148k miles on it. My fear is once I drive it off the lot I'm going to start having engine problems. Any thoughts?

Asked by Dec 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM

26,605

With that mileage don't buy it unless you have documented vehicle maintenance records. It should also have had it's timing chain(s) replaced. Buying a high mileage car from a dealer is never a good idea.

I would agree with you. The dealer is telling me that the car was well taken care of - all the maintaince was done there.

254,695

Have your mechanic look it over before you make a deal for piece of mind.

26,605

If it's not documented, don't trust them. I'm not opposed to high-mileage cars, but only when I know and trust the previous owner - like a reputable service department. I buy high-mile fleet vehicles on a regular basis, some departments I trust to have kept good care of their cars, others I know are lousy and never took care of their cars and wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. In your case, it's a car dealer trying to make a sale and unload a high-mileage car that would be a tough sale. Some dealers don't even bother trying to unload those to a customer and instead send them off to the auto auctions.

It was the dealers shuttle car.

76,935

Get them to include an extended warranty if you buy it. I personally would not buy a high mileage used car unless it was cheap and really clean. I have Fords with more than 175,000 on them that run like new.

76,935

Take it on a good long test drive. None of the once around the block stuff. Get them to let you take it over night or at least for a 20 mile drive.

I agree with the extended warranty. I did that with a vw toureg that I bought 2 yrs ago. Problem was 2 months after buying it it ended in the shop with engine problems. That is my fear with this. They won't let me take it on a longer drive.

And now I have a repo on my credit when I turned the car back in to the refinance company.

76,935

If they won't allow a long test drive then walk.

I am still debating, the price is right and I like the car I just don't want to get screwed again