I have a 98 F1 50 V6 4.2 2W five speed manual transmission going into third gear yesterday I heard it whining sound and the shifter disengaged and went completely limp and can you can just flops back-

Asked by Dec 09, 2015 at 11:35 AM

And forth as if it has popped out of place
. Can that be fixed or is it bad enough to
start pricing a tranny?

745

This could be a few different problems 1) the winding noise could come from a lack of oil in the tranny yet that would cause it to whind in all gears, bad syncros would cause it whind, a bent shifter fork or a broken shifter fork would also cause this and me personally would lean more towards a bent or broken shifter fork being what u described now in some cases it is cheaper to have the tranny rebuilt but in others and in ur case I think it is safe to say that u may want to start looking for a new tranny. A good place to start would be you're local salvage yard being that it is a manual transmission u should have no problem finding a good one now just a bit more advice if u do change out the transmission while the tranny is out I would also have a new clutch and throw out bearing installed as well.