Driver side caliper wont bleed

10

Asked by Nov 29, 2015 at 04:15 PM

1999 Ford Windstar..just replaced
master cylinder...bled 3/4 of the
brakes..could it be a clog or is the
caliper non functional..fluid runs to
the line good..but no fluid in
caliper..driver side brake is only one
with no pressure at all..all others have
perfect pressure.

46,595

Did you completely remove the bleeder screw from the problem caliper? Bleeder screws can be plugged up and you may need to clean or replace the bleeder screw. If that does not work then rebuilding or replacing the caliper is the next step.

17,620

Also could be a collapsed brake hose.

10

Yes i fully removed the bleeder screw and had my wife press on the brake...also removed line from caliper and that has fluid that comes out once pedal is depressed....made sure to notch line screw with line hole into caliper so i dont lose the holes lining up...(ive made that mistake)...ive read about that collapsed line...will look deeper into it..

17,620

Do this test put everything back together and install bleeder screw put inner brake pad onto piston use a C clamp to press back piston into caliper like you are doing a brake job. Does piston go back in easy or is it hard or will not move at all ? If it goes back in easy that is normal but if it is hard to press back in loosen bleeder screw then try to press in piston if it goes in easy you have a collapsed brake hose but if it still is hard to press in piston is seized in caliper.

17,620

When you removed the bleeder screw did you check to make sure it was not clogged ? Should be able to blow into it and hear air go through it.

10

Will do the "brake job" test...i could hear and feel slight air going into caliper through bleeder valve every time my wife pressed the brake..where would collapsed line be located around...within rubber hose to caliper?...metal hose that runs to MC?...i try to be easy with the lines...i hate having to re-bend or replace brake lines...one other thing on the line...unsure if it would be collapsed line since there if good fluid flow to the caliper..but it seems that there is no fill to the caliper....when i pulled valve...it was bone freakin dry...not even fluid wet in a single spot....but from line from MC to caliper had good fluid..soon as i loosened nut..fluid started coming out..i dont even have wear on my rotor from brakes...

17,620

No need to replace metal brake lines collapsing happens inside of the rubber brake line. So let me get this straight if brake pedal is depressed 4 to 5 times and they hold the pedal to the floor and you open up the bleeder screw fluid comes out but not under pressure like the other brakes comes out slow right ? The thing about the brake hose is a little fluid is going to come out even if the hose is collapsed depending on how collapsed it is so when you apply the brakes the the pressure cuts the flow of even more causing little or no brake fluid.