1979 ford 1/2 ton cuts off after you drive it 10 miles or so kindachoked out & backfired & died

Asked by Nov 29, 2015 at 08:14 AM

31,585

Does it do this all the time or is this a one time thing. Could be ignition module, ignition coil or pick up in the distributor is getting warm and causing issues. Could be fuel related. Does the carb still have gas in it when it quits? Will it restart when it cools down? Could also be the timing chain if it just quit and won't restart. Need a little more info please.

Its happend twice in last 2 days gas in carb & it will restart after a bit

31,585

Sounds like something in the ignition system is getting warm and stops working. The most likely is the ignition module. Info on the Duraspark II system is at the link.....http://www.wrljet.com/fordv8/duraspark.html