I had a crack in my 2006 toyota highlander hybrid so we drained, patched, and refilled but now the engine light is on and it only blows out cold air with the heater on.

Kelsey Cofer

Asked by Nov 28, 2015 at 09:38 PM

We did jack it up In case some air bubbles
were disrupting the circulation in the top
hose and it didn't affect anything

Crack in what, the coolant reservoir? Only blowing cold air suggests you still have air in the system. Warm the car and let it cool down up and recheck the level, do this a few times.

If you fixed a crack in the radiator you are driving on borrowed time. If this is the case go ahead and install a new radiator.

Kelsey Cofer

Crack was in the radiator

If it were my car I would install a new radiator especially if the crack was low down where you could lose all your coolant should it open up again. Losing all the coolant could mean ruining the engine.

Bob Beaman

Sounds like maybe there is air trapped in the cooling system. Do some "Googling" for burping the cooling system or bleeding the air from the cooling system. If the crack in the radiator is a proper repair you should be okay. My question is what caused the crack. Was it caused by accident, over pressure or part failure? If over pressure was the cause, you could have a head gasket or cylinder head issue.