is it possible to put a front wheel drive motor in a rear wheel drive vehicle?

15

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 09:58 AM

I don't have a make or model, I'm just asking if it can be done for any vehicles.

75,485

No....

75,485

Only if you are ingenious enough...

15

Why cant it be done?

75,485

If you want to go threw major fabrication to put the engine & trany over the rear end then yes. But the trany is designed to drive 2 axles, not one.

75,485

Oh, I see what you are asking, sorry, I would not be sure on that but have a sneaking suspicion that you can not.

No . Just that simple. A rear wheel drive car has a longitudinal engine, serpentine or V-belts in front by radiator. A Front wheel drive car is transverse, 'sideways' and just not doable without extensive fabraction

15

I wouldn't use a front wheel trany on the rear. I thought a motor was a motor. I thought if you managed to get motor mounts on the engine it would fit right in.

15

I put a 3.1L V6 in a Pontiac Sun fire, it runs, so I was just thinking about another project.

15

As for serpentine belts, a friend of mine has a race car that operates with a serpentine belt. I think it can be done.

785

Yes it can be done, it will take an ass load of fab work however look at the older caddy's that were front wheel drive or the toranados just saying they used a v8 that was not sideways in the car yet had a tranny that only drove the front wheels, u can take a front wheel drive car and make it rear wheel drive just look at Mr Leno with his 1100hp olds tornado it has a better c6 drive line and twin turbos, beside guys with a welder anything is possible

785

Vette***

15

I want to thank all of you for the answers to my questions. If I attempt to put a front wheel drive motor in a rear wheel drive vehicle, I will keep you posted.

U wouldn't be using front wheel drive trans u would use trans from rear wheel drive car only fab would be transplate adapter and wiring differences.

Can you take the engine out of a car that the engine is sideways and mount engine only to a rear wheel tranny etc.?

to make thissimple u can do anything nothing is to hard! with a little thought before u start.to answer guru Q.no with an adapter plate odds are more in your favor. have fun make it happen

one can only try right

I’m sure you were talking about putting the whole front end of a front wheel drive car. I positive you can, I’m thinking to do it to a 38 Plymouth, that would give me a late model engine, trans, new suspension with rack and pinion steering.... It would much easier the sub framing a camero to a old car and much cleaner. Just find something with the same wheel base as the car your going to install it in

just do it! i have done a lot of so called imposable projects.think it out !have fun! these things are all so posable...DougF/X