is it possible to put a front wheel drive motor in a rear wheel drive vehicle?

15

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 09:58 AM

I don't have a make or model, I'm just asking if it can be done for any vehicles.

72,155

No....

72,155

Only if you are ingenious enough...

15

Why cant it be done?

72,155

If you want to go threw major fabrication to put the engine & trany over the rear end then yes. But the trany is designed to drive 2 axles, not one.

72,155

Oh, I see what you are asking, sorry, I would not be sure on that but have a sneaking suspicion that you can not.

No . Just that simple. A rear wheel drive car has a longitudinal engine, serpentine or V-belts in front by radiator. A Front wheel drive car is transverse, 'sideways' and just not doable without extensive fabraction

15

I wouldn't use a front wheel trany on the rear. I thought a motor was a motor. I thought if you managed to get motor mounts on the engine it would fit right in.

15

I put a 3.1L V6 in a Pontiac Sun fire, it runs, so I was just thinking about another project.

15

As for serpentine belts, a friend of mine has a race car that operates with a serpentine belt. I think it can be done.

755

Yes it can be done, it will take an ass load of fab work however look at the older caddy's that were front wheel drive or the toranados just saying they used a v8 that was not sideways in the car yet had a tranny that only drove the front wheels, u can take a front wheel drive car and make it rear wheel drive just look at Mr Leno with his 1100hp olds tornado it has a better c6 drive line and twin turbos, beside guys with a welder anything is possible

755

Vette***

15

I want to thank all of you for the answers to my questions. If I attempt to put a front wheel drive motor in a rear wheel drive vehicle, I will keep you posted.

U wouldn't be using front wheel drive trans u would use trans from rear wheel drive car only fab would be transplate adapter and wiring differences.