My 1995 ford ranger clutch is hard to press, will go in gear without cluth, and wount pull. Whats the problem?

20

Asked by Nov 04, 2015 at 02:45 PM

143,275

Let's clarify. It goes in gear but you release clutch but no movement? It goes in gear without clutch pedal pressed engine running?

20

Both, trk. Remain running out of gear.

20

Remain running in gear and out

143,275

Clutch shot. If you never smelled the disc burning up, then it could be the splines stripped out in disc, pressure plate not engaging, several possibilities like that. But pedal hard to push indicates a pressure plate problem. Bottom line, needs clutch and probably new or re-surfaced flywheel

20

So,sounds like pressure plate and clutch needs replaced. Give me a ballpoint price, parts and labor.

143,275

$600 -$800 Parts $225 to $330 depending on what quality you choose, ....Labor $400 shop $500 dealer. Parts include disc. pressure plate. pilot bearing, throwout bearing. But if flywheel has blue streaks on it it needs to be re-surfaced or replaced on top of that

143,275

You can probably find a clutch kit with all parts for less. That sounds high to me, just took off NAPA site

20

Just priced parts, clutch $45, pressure plate $149, labor $300. Do this sound about right?

143,275

Yep, that's reasonable. I did think what I found was a bit high but you must get throwout bearing also and pilot bearing, which keeps transmission shaft aligned

20

Ok. Thanks alot.

143,275

You're welcome. Happy to help

34,855

In my experience the flywheel always needs to be resurfaced. Not doing that could lead to problems like clutch shudder.