I can bypass my interlock system and start my car by jumping the solenoid, will the interlock system know i am bypassing it?

Asked by Oct 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM

I can bypass my interlock system and start my car by jumping the solenoid with a wrench touching the two bolts together, the mouthpiece does not have to be plugged in for this to work. will the interlock system know i am bypassing it? Could I get in trouble?

80,385

I'm assuming that this is a breathalyzer test device. No you can't bypass it. The ignition and/or fuel systems are also inoperable until the device activates them. If you've been drinking you shouldn't be driving! Please call a cab. It'll be cheaper and safer in the long run! HTH. -Jim

12,880

Depends on alarm. I suspect that you have a State Installed device usually installed for DWI offenders ,,the newer interlocks include a GPS in order to validate your location.~~ I pray that i'm wrong about the interlock's purpose if not then you need to step back and see what you are willing to trade to continue this Your probably a really good guy who needs help..sometimes all you need to do is ask God bless you my friend

66,675

Reported as criminal activity...... You should NOT be monkeying around with a breathalyzer interlock.

12,880

Your question may have initiated a turning point in your life. If you believe in God (as I do) you will sometimes see The Lord prevent you from hurting yourself and others. To butt Heads with Him and do what you want will only result in grief. Look at this as the beginning of a new life ... if not then ya gotta do ,, what ya gotta do

30

what everybody fails to understand is this is a coalition with your state-run DWI program and any provider of the Interlock system the almighty dollar is at Play they don't give a rat's ass if you break down or your interlock decides to shut down in some God awful part of the city they don't care what did you care about is making sure you get to your friendly car toys to have it repaired that is of course when you show up with your car that's being towed on your dollar and their technician is gone for the day

12,880

Many people just don't get it regarding today's computerized security systems and still believe a jumper or anything that conducts current will override security. Nada ,, when I was a kid you could jump a car using the foil from your cigarette pack,, but defeating today's systems can only be done by someone very skilled with the knowledge of how the system works .. you are more likely to produce a unit with "crispy critters" instead of defeating those units. The best way to get your car started is not to be loaded when you get in it

20

It will register that the car was energized and you weren't blowing, regardless if the head piece is on. In some states this will trigger the horn to blow and lights to flash. It will also trigger an early recall for the info to be downloaded and rat you out.

12,880

IMO the only way the car won't start is if you've been drinking. If you defeat the system and get into an accident you will probably g to jail in addition to fixing your car using your own money because almost all insurance companies won't pay a dime if you are commiting a felony .. and what you want to do is a felony . Please step back and read what you wrote. Perhaps you will realize that alcohol has probably already cost you more than a car. We all deserve to have happiness but I doubt you have not had a life in ages ,, indeed your looking to go to prison just to keep drinking... please ask for help before you destroy someone else's happiness

20

No. They occasionally do malfunction & lock you out even if they don't detect alcohol. Just like anything else that's government mandated, there's not much incentive to make it perfect.

12,880

I would suspect that if it malfunctioned the dude would make them fix it before spending his/her money to bypass it. Imagine you, or anyone you love being run down by a drunken driver that's only able to drive his car because you helped him start it

20

These heartless answers make me feel sad not only for this country but for humanity. There is nothing more noble and uplifting than defeating government overreach into our freedom and privacy, especially tax evasion, cryptocurrency, advances in encryption and anonymous speech ("dark web"), and using intelligence and technology to defeat this man's interlock device. Driving is the most dangerous activity in our daily lives, by far the #1 killer in non-health related death, and I am excited for upcoming technologies that will take us out of the driver's seat and have zero traffic fatalities. But for now, we face the risks in a free society so we can be mobile, just like we accept the risks of an armed society due to the second amendment. Everyone in this thread is guilty of distracted driving, sleepy/tired driving, and angry driving, which are all just as or more dangerous than drunk driving. Drunk driving laws are a textbook result of slippery slope, with BAC levels dropping from .18 to .15, .12 down to .10, and now .08 and .02 for certain people and states. It is incorrect for society to exact such harsh judgment on someone who drinks when they drive; drinking is just one of many things that are balled up reasons making humans imperfect fallible dangerous operators of motor vehicles moving at 60 mph. If you don't like these odds then stay off the road. I encourage the OP to research the internet for PDFs on the design of the interlock from the specific company that manufactured it and identify all the points that it connects with your car. If it's only at that one connection you speak of, then you should be good to go. Sorry that I do not have more information, and sorry that so many of your peers side with the government's authoritarian, illegal-everything overreach into your life. I'm sure if they got the interlock after being pulled over after having one drink, they would change their tune. But that's how people are -- they only think about themselves and can't place themselves in another's position. Oh, and increasingly they love arbitrary authority, but i blame public schooling for that one.

All of you may be misreading his original post. Obviously do NOT drink and drive, however my fiancé has been using hers for 11 months successfully. Ironically when it's the last month the device is incorrectly stating to blow in to the device, no matter HOW MANY TIMES she tries (it's been 2 weeks now). The car won't start, she's missing work and critical events about this. If the government and the companies that actually enforce this machine to DO IT'S F*CKING JOB and keep us all safe, they need to be more hands on, period.

Intoxalox should be ruled as Unconstitutional Excessive Punishment instead of Legal Safety Measure. It's simply another item on the List of bigger, better ways to exploit unwealthy Americans.