we have a team who is making a solar car with 48v solar panels 300watt with four 12v battery in series, 48v and 500 watt hub motor, weight of the car including the driver is 250 kg ,,,, so is it possible to drive the car without any prblm or any modifications required ??

Asked by Oct 24, 2015 at 04:52 AM

we have a team who is making a solar car with 48v solar panels 300watt with
four 12v battery in series, 48v and 500 watt hub motor, weight of the car
including the driver is 250 kg ,,,, so is it possible to drive the car without any
prblm or any modifications required ??

7,740

What controls the motor? You need a brushless servo drive for a 48V stepper or servo drive. Lead acid is not the ideal method to supply voltage --- They do not give the best Voltage vs Weight output. Based on your question ... it probably will work

We r using a hub motor not a servo motor which is 48 v and 1000w. Can u plz tell me any modifications needed ?

7,740

That would make the motor less then 1.5 HP ... no way Jose'. ...it will not go up the smallest grade at a speed anywhere near exceptionable for public roads. You need a way to go from stop to full speed because to apply full voltage will put the motor into "locked armature" and draw current at a point the batteries won't last long at all. It's all about efficiency and the first requirement is weight. Li-ion batteries are the most efficient weight-to-output power source you can get. A gear ratio is needed due to low speed efficiency of a variable speed motor so VARI-DRIVE would provide an effective speed vs power ratio while maintaining a very low weight