Car tyres

David Gogovcev

Asked by Oct 21, 2015 at 07:19 AM

I work with a guy who chews through his van tyres and he claims the tyres are
too soft since they have just been manufactured. He claims tyres need to cure
for a curtain amount of time before fitted and used. Is there any truth to tyres
should sit before fitting or is he just an aggressive driver?

Bob Beaman

In my opinion either he is somewhat of an aggressive driver, he buys cheepo tires, doesn't maintain air pressure or he has a van that is hard on tires due to its design or alignment or other issue. I would think the first few heat cycles the tires go through after installation will finish curing them if not completely cured. Some brands and models of tires just don't last very long.

Bob Beaman

There is some good tire curing info at the link..... s/bestof3/speced3_curing.asp

Also there is a tire mileage rating (wear rating) on tires to indicate how many miles to expect out of them. You buy a tire, 40,000 mile normal wearing, to 80,000 mile tire. You get what you pay for. (not good at explaining sometimes)