1988 Ford Ranger 2.9 v6 4x4 not starting.

20

Asked by Oct 14, 2015 at 05:37 PM

After a few weeks of not running I replaced the ignition control module. After I replaced the ICM it fired right up. I drove it to work just fine no big deal. After work I return to my pickup, it cranks and wont start though!! The next day I went back to mess around with it and it fires right up. I then drove it home, and let it sit for 2 hours. Went out and it fired right up again, it ran for ten minutes and died, now I cant get it to start, only turn over. Any helpful hints? Could my ignition control module I replaced it with possibly be bad?

68,895

Could be bad,have you checked the fuel pressure on your truck,to rule out fuel problem?

20

Yes I did, I actually recently replaced the fuel pumps low and high pressure. I actually had someone spray starter fluid into the air intake while cranking and it did nothing. So I am thinking spark issue?

68,895

Check for spark at a plug,it will let you no if it is a spark issue,if there is no spark,you may be right about the module being bad,if there is spark you will have a fuel issue.

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

Alright thank you.

68,895

Some times on the rangers the rod will get bent a little ,it will turn starter but not to the point it will fire,check the rod before you replace it

20

Where would the rod be located?

68,895

Under steering column.