I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2l v8. When I first start it up it will run like a champ, then after I kill it it won't start back up until about 3 or 4 hours after killing it any suggestions?

Asked by Sep 30, 2015 at 08:29 PM

36,765

Could be your ECT sensor, or crank sensor. If you have your check engine light on, I would have the error codes read first.

Best Answer

Check engine light is on. I took it to O'Reilly to have them plug it up and they said that it would not connect.

I bet it is the ECT sensor. I just put a brand new radiator in it and a couple freeze plugs because it set with nothing but water in it and the freeze plugs popped out so I bet that's most likely what it is. Thank you very much

36,765

That would be my first place to start. Cheap part and an easy install. Keep us posted......

I found a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360 in it the motor has been blown. What would I have to do in order to put my 318 in that truck

I replaced the ECT sensor today and it still doing the same thing. After I kill it it won't get fire to start back up until a couple hours later

36,765

Too bad you can't get the codes read. You will just have to be replacing parts until you hit the right one. I would try cam sensor and crank sensors next. What ever is killing your engine, is heat sensitive now. When hot, it's malfunctioning. You will have to do some research on that engine swap. You may have to swap more than just the engine. Like wire harness, computer, tranny, motor mounts etc. May not be compatible at all. Usually, going backwards that many years doesn't work. You will have to change the harness and computer for sure if compatible.

I'm going to drive it down to my friend shop, and let it sit overnight maybe after it cools down I can get the codes

I gave up on swapping the motor the truck that I was going to put it in has already been sold