1961 corvette clock does not work. How do I determine why. Could it be the clock itself or wiring.

Asked by Sep 29, 2015 at 07:42 PM

270

I was able to Google 1961 Chevy Corvetter wiring Schematic and it shows it there

37,955

Well you could test to see if there is power there, but I have never seen an old car clock work. Chances are you would have to try to find some one to fix it or look on the inner web for one. May have to be aftermarket.

270

www.auto-wiring- diagram.com/2572-wiring-diagrams- of-1961-chevrolet-corvette.html

56,705

These clocks were basically wind up clocks with a set of contact points attached to the winding mechanism. How they work is the contact points come together and create an electrical arc which forces the points apart to wind the clock. You'll hear it as a "THUMP" inside of the clock. Then as the clock winds down the points come together and the cycle repeats. Each cycle happens about every 2 minutes. I've had success at bringing these old car clocks back to life by spritzing WD-40 on the works inside of the clock case. You can send the clock to a clock/watch repair facility or convert it to a quarts movement if the points are burned out. GM recommended that the clock be cleaned, serviced, and oiled every 2 years. I used the WD-40 method on the clock in my '70 Pontiac Catalina in 1998. The clock was still running and keeping excellent time when I sold the car in 2012. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer