Worth tuning? 2001 Hyundai Elantra, bought for $1,500.

Asked by Sep 22, 2015 at 04:22 AM

Ive had the car for a few years, bought it just as a run around. But as i was looking at trading it in on a better car, I questioned if its worth tuning up. Talking respray, body kit, pretty much the works since i got it so cheap, I can happily spend a few grand before i come close to what id spend on a new second hand car. But is it worth it? Would i be polishing a turd?

106,355

Its running with no problems? You paid only 1,500.00, sure I would have it tuned up, oil and transmission fluid change. Forget painting it....just drive it till it dies, it took care of you so far a few dollars in her other year and you are good...

No problems for a while now, it use to fire up then die after ignition. Mechanic fixed that by replacing the on board computer (was apparently tripping the engine immobiliser) Besides that it runs just fine, so perhaps a bit of TLC will do for now. Appreciate the feedback.

106,355

TLC is always good and it may last a few more years, that will give you time to save up for another car...me and wife did that one time, we held onto an old car pretended we had a new car and making payments, the old car lasted us two more years and we had almost 4,000.00 to put down on a new car, lowered my payments....

Best Answer
22,725

it's a Hyundai- a Korean car- you said it, a turd- you devalue yourself every minute you own this car- get rid of it before the day is out-