I have a 99 crown Vic lx and when I haven't started it for alil bit it delays start up but once it been running for alil and I start it up it starts right up is that a sign something is going

Asked by Aug 31, 2015 at 10:17 PM

50

How long does it sit before started again?

Over night I drive it everyday

50

Ok either your battery is dying, and you need a new one, or your alternator is going out most likely the battery though. If it has been a while since you got a new battery then that's more than likely the answer.

It's a new battery

Could the alternator have anything to do with, while I'm sitting at a stop light I'll feel the car shake sometimes like it wants to shut off

50

It could... The alternator is what keeps the battery charged while the car is running... But it wouldn't keep it from starting especially if it is a new battery. It may very well be your fuel pump. When you turn the key before trying to start it do you hear the fuel pump engage?

I never listen for it tomorrow morning I will what kind of sound will I be listen for

And the car starts up every time just delays some times

50

It will be a faint buzzing noise near the place where your fuel tank will be...

Ok I'll listen for that so if I hear it that's good

50

Right. When you start your car the fuel pump has to bring fuel from the tank to your engine for it to start properly, if its delaying then either your fuel pump is having trouble performing its function or it could be your starter.

50

Yes it is good that you hear it but even if you do hear it, it could still be failing. Really I would take it to your mechanic and explain your concerns. Because with my experience neither of the possible problems are easy fixes.

Ok thanks

50

Indeed.

1,465

Bad fuel pump & or low fuel pump pressure. Replace fuel filter too.