I got a 355 sbc and I keep hearing a tapping ,, only when the car warms up not when cold.... I need help

Asked by Aug 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM

78,435

Quickly check you oil pressure warm,a tapping is usually a sign of too low oil pressure and not enough oil equals engine damage big time.

The oil pressure has been fine, but I had a bad set of lifters that collapsed, I had them changed and the tap is still there,,, but when its cold its not there it comes only when the motor is warmed up

78,435

You can try a readjustment of the lash settings, maybe there are some that are just a little too light. It can happen after a break-in period but not too often if setup right when they were first put in.

58,555

It may be that one of the lifters is not set correct,and will tap with engine warm.

Could the weight of oil in it be a problem? 20/50vr1

78,435

That's a little heavy especially if your still in break in, remember as the oil warms viscosity climbs, so when you hit operational temps you pumping the equivalent of 50 weight oil and that might be just too heavy. The engine manufactures should have recommended a viscosity for you to run, if they didn't I try a 10 W 30 synthetic, but once you start synthetics you stay synthetics.

I'll try that tomorrow thanks... ill let u know how that works out