I found a car for my daughter that is for sale by owner in Charlotte, NC. I live in Lexington, SC. I have exchanged emails with the seller. I am not sure how this is supposed to work. Can you give me any guidance please?

Asked by Aug 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM

You go drive the car to see if you like it. If all checks out, tell the buyer you want the car to be looked at by your mechanic before you exchange any money. That way you know what your buying and if there are hidden issues. After that, call your insurance company, drive over to a Notary and swap the titles.

I'm in NJ and 3 years ago I bought my '94 Cadillac from a Chevrolet Dealer in NC. After I emailed them about the car I had the car professionally inspected before I decided to buy it. I then telephoned the dealer and negotiated the price with the salesman. I then sent them a Bank Draft and called my insurance company to add the car to my policy. My Sister drove me to NC to pick up the car. I showed the salesman my proof of insurance, signed all the necessary paperwork, including the clear NC title. They issued me a "transport" license plate to drive the car home to NJ. HTH. -Jim