I have 2001 Pontiac grand Prix gt and it been shifting really hard and whinning. Want to know what it is?

325

Asked by Aug 22, 2015 at 09:47 PM

68,695

The whining is classic to these transmissions that have lost overdrive. It's about a $1500 repair. My '00 Grand Prix GT Coupe does the same thing. I keep it in 3 and it drives fine. Gas mileage will suffer, but otherwise it'll drive fine. The hard shifting is most likely the shift solenoids in the transmission getting tired. HTH. -Jim

325

It only does when the car is driven for while. Over drive still works. The whole car just jerks real bad when it decides to do it. It doesnt get driven much. On average 10 miles a day.

68,695

You have a transmission fluid temperature sensor. When the engine and transmission are cold the computer prevents it from upshifting into overdrive (4th). Once the engine and transmission are warmed up you have all 4 speeds plus torque converter lock in. This is done to speed up the warm up time by having the engine rev slightly higher. By doing this the engine goes into "closed loop" operation faster, thereby reducing emissions and boosting overall fuel economy. Try driving in 3. Does it still do the same thing? By driving in 3 you're duplicating the warm up mode and shutting down 4th gear. HTH. -Jim

325

Does it no mater what I do I try to do. Like I said it gets 10 miles put on it a day. Today I went about a 100 or so and it was constant driving

325

Also it will go into overdrive whether the car is warm or cold

68,695

Did you happen to notice where your tach was running? That's a good indicator. At about 60 MPH the tach should be between 1500 and 1900 RPMs. As a comparison mine runs at 2500 RPMs in D at 60 MPH. HTH. -Jim

325

At 60 it runs around 1900 And 2200. And it kinds bounces in between those rpms

68,695

I see. Is the service engine soon light coming on at all? Possibly it's jumping in and out of 4th. There's a shaft in the transmission that has splines on it. It was poorly made. The splines break off and then the transmission looses 4th speed. There's a YouTube video you can watch on this. It usually happens around 150,000 miles or so. It's very common on these transmissions. As are shift solenoid failure. HTH. -Jim

325

The service engine like came on few weeks ago when I ran it hard down a back road. I disconnected the battery and it went and never came back on since

68,695

If it comes back on have the computer scanned. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. Post the trouble code and we'll see exactly what were up against. A transmission problem can trigger the service engine soon light. HTH. -Jim

325

Well when that I came on I asked around and was told most likely it was a egr valve. Sometime the car will hesitate to shift through all the gears. Especial I'm the winter. How much does it cost to get the overdrive spline realced and also the Temp sensor?

68,695

We'll need the trouble code to see for sure if it's the EGR valve. To replace that shaft in the transmission it's about $1500. The parts are only about $200 but there's a lot of labor involved. HTH. -Jim

325

When its shifting hard what damage is it doing the car

68,695

That's most likely the shift solenoids not working correctly. It puts stress on the transmission mounts and the motor mounts. HTH. - Jim