engine dies - 73 International

45

Asked by Aug 20, 2015 at 11:30 AM

1973 International pickup with V8 and auto transmission, has carburetor. This engine starts but when you put transmission in drive, it dies right away when you try to accelerate and move forwards. If it is given a slight push with another vehicle it doesn't die and moves.  Also does it in reverse.  I've tried different things, no luck.  Any ideas?  thanks. StevO

63,235

Sounds like it's time for a carburetor rebuild. Years ago my Sister had a '76 Ford Maverick that was doing the same thing. She had the carburetor rebuilt and it was fine. HTH. -Jim

88,995

Could be a locked torque converter as you stated it would do it in reverse also. Jack it up so the wheels are off the ground, start it and put it in drive without stepping on the brake, it should bang into gear and start rotating the wheels, then step on the brake the engine should die.

45

With engine cold, held choke open and looked in crab with flashlight while moving throttle arm back and forth. Did not see a stream of gas or smell gas. Checked fuel line at carburetor and there IS supply of gas there. Can accelerator pump be adjusted or fixed, or is it another problem? Thank you. Stevo

45

Photos

88,995

You can try adjusting the accelerator pump setting, the pic shows it is on the low side, but chances are that you will need to overhaul the pump, I don't think you can get just the accelerator pump anymore.

63,235

Yes, you should see a stream of gas shoot into the carburetor. Sounds like the accelerator pump is bad. If you buy the rebuild kit for your carburetor it should come with the accelerator pump. You'll need the make and model number off the carburetor to get the correct kit. For example: Rochester 7040060. HTH. - Jim

Best Answer