have 1969 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special Fleetwood Brougham. unable to find any info using the vin number (p9284138)


Asked by Aug 14, 2015 at 03:17 PM

Question type: General

all attempts to find this vin have been unsuccessful. car was in an Illinois museum for 6-7
years unregistered. I bought the car from them in 2007 or 2008 and registered it in NY.
Just found out that NY DMV put one wrong number in the registration vin.If there is a time
limit on how long a vin stays around that may be the answer, disappeared for 15 yrs
because of the error. appreciate any help. tyvm Bill Claudio bill@claudios.com

3 Answers


Your VIN looks correct. P= Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham, 9= 1969 model, 284138= Sequential unit number of the car. Most States purge DMV records after 5 years. So if it sat unregistered longer than that any record of the car in Illinois is gone. You also can't Carfax it because the car was made before 1981. If NY wants you to prove the correct VIN it should be on the lower left (driver's side) of the windshield. To prove the breakdown of the model (P) and year (9) designations of the VIN you'll need a factory shop manual. Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside, California will most likely have a reprint at a reasonable price. The shop manual will break down the VIN and show you the 2 additional places on the vehicle where the VIN can be found. HTH. -Jim


Did that before Jim. 2nd place is left side of transmission and 3rd is back left side of intake manifold. did look up the vin# as requested by a buyer... at http://goo.gl/d3XwP1. It came back as invalid vin.! have original documents of purchase in 1969 in NJ and it is the vin on the paperwork that matches the physical vin on the car.

1 people found this helpful.

Most likely the reason it came back "invalid" is because the VIN has less than 17 characters. Only vehicles made 1981 and newer have a 17 character VIN. Contact Allied Vaughn by googling "gm media archives". For $50 you can get a copy of your Cadillac's original factory to dealer invoice or build sheet record. I know 1968 is not available but I'm pretty sure 1969 is. The trouble with a lot of this stuff is the 25 year old kid working at the motor vehicle agency. They think that vehicles always had 17 character VINs. You can also contact the Cadillac-LaSalle Club. They have experts who can validate your VIN for the motor vehicle agency. One last thing you may want to do. Run the VIN through NCIB. NCIB is a national database in Washington DC. If your car was ever reported stolen it will pop up. Personally I'd run both the correct VIN for the car and the erroneous VIN. See if anything pops up. I'm sure that all of this is just a typo but this way you'll have all of your bases covered. NCIB will recognize the eight character VIN. The build sheet will also confirm that your VIN is correct. Because if it's not the P9 won't match the last six numbers. Then you'll have more ammo to throw at the motor vehicle agency. Please keep us posted. Good luck with this! HTH. -Jim

Your Answer:


General Experts

  • #1
    Tom Demyan
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.