1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 check gauge light comes on oil pressure drops then raises again only when the engine gets hot then a engine tick starts then truck fully does nd won't start till cooled down

Asked by Aug 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM

78,445

Oil pump starting to fail, driving it will damage the engine.

I was also told it could be the oil pressure gauge going bad because both of them are mechanical things??

Nd buddy of mine told me to look in radiator overfill tank to see if there's any oil, it's like brown color substance just don't know dirty water or oil??

78,445

Oil in the coolant will turn it a dark color and you will see little globs of oil floating after it has cooled and sat overnight, also check the crankcase oil, if it is milky color then you have a possible blown head gasket or cracked heads along with the oil pump failure. The engine ticking sound is the lifters running out of oil. 16 year old truck it could have a lot of things getting ready to let go, it all depends on how well it was maintained .