I'm trying to save for my first car, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. I'm a full time college student, and I'm in my final year and at the point where I need to learn and be educated about buying my first car. Is their anyone who has any good tips or advice about purchasing a used vehicle?

Asked by Aug 07, 2015 at 03:15 PM

70,325

Do your homework. Pick out a car that you like then visit car complaints.com. Look for recalls, problem areas, and what regular consumers like you and I are saying about this car. If this looks good then start shopping. Again, do your homework. Run a Carfax or other vehicle history report on the car you pick out. Multiple owners, accidents, and recurring service visits for the same problem are red flags. If you're not car savvy spend the $150 and have the car professionally inspected. I've used lemonsquad.com in the past. They'll go over the car with a fine toothed comb and report back to you any issues with the car that they find. As far as saving money is concerned put a set amount in your bank account each payday and forget about it. Pretend that you already have a car payment. It doesn't take long for the funds to pile up if you just deposit it and forget you have it. Out of sight, out of mind. Good luck with your first car! HTH. -Jim

25

Be a smart shopper, with information out there about used cars you could not go wrong, check the history and have it inspected.

45

Well You are not going to get a decent dealer to get your first car. I bet it's gonna be some unreliable old American junk with fake mileage. But it's your first car, so for 2 or 3 yrs, should be enough.