2001 Lexus ES300 will not stay running.

Asked by Aug 02, 2015 at 02:35 PM

Driving down a lone straight road, mashed all the way down on gas, downshifted and away I went. Felt like the car was about to shift up and it died. Car will start for about 2 seconds and shuts off. Is there a reset for this, fuse or something else? tried reset with key and disconnected negative battery side, still the same problem. Car was running fine before my lead foot.

More info. The above happened on Friday, tried the resets on Saturday and today (Sunday)I went out and tried to start the car. It ran for a couple seconds and quit. I did the ignition reset again and with foot flat on gas pedal, the car tried to start but died with a couple of muffled backfires. I tried again with foot flat on gas pedal, it started!! Let it run for about 30 seconds, turned off and tried to start again, it started again. Car has sat for 1 hour and started again, not sure if I trust it to drive. Any ideas. Thanks