i have a 2002 buick century that has oil pouring out from under the car on the drivers side. Thought that it might be the manifold gasket,but no oil under the hood. what could it be?

Asked by Jul 30, 2015 at 07:35 PM

My wife was car pooling a coworker home driving about only six miles or so ,and car
was running normal. She arrives to find oil pouring out from under the car on the drivers
side. I looked under it and it didn't look as if it was leaking from the oil pan so I opened
the hood thinking it might be the manifold gasket, but their was no oil under the hood
and did not see anything leaking down from above. I would like to have some idea of
what it is before I take it to a mechanic. We had the car since 2004 and we maintained
it well. What could it be?

Check the oil filter seal .

Bob Beaman

Probably has 2 gaskets under the oil filter instead of 1. Will make a real mess in a hurry.

Check the oil pressure sensor that screws into the engine block.

Check the transmission fluid level. The oil filter on these cars is on the other (passenger's side) side, I believe. Also check the brake fluid and power steering fluid. The transmission has a gasket kinda-sorta on the driver's side. A ruptured brake line should have triggered a warning light, but you never know. The transmission has cooling lines that cross over the front of the car. From the driver's side to the passenger's side of the radiator. HTH. -Jim

Tom Harmon

Oil pressure sw. My 2002 Grand Prix sw went and it was pumping oil all over the drive way Switch is in the front of the engine on drivers side ,,,About $20 bucks and you need a spark plug wrench to change it