What can I use to get rid of lingering cigarette smoke smell. I just bought a used car and did not notice the smell the first few days.

Asked by Jul 26, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I just bought a used car and after a few days of owning it I started to notice a cigarette smoke smell.  I have leather seats.

Go to a 'smoke shop' ..cigarette store. They have products that really work. One Brand is "Zep" aerosol. And if your car has a cabin air filter replace it, but spray the new one with Febreze. That also works really well.

96,895

If they are true leather seats then a good saddle soap and a lot of elbow grease will get the seats clean, then there is the carpeting, the best way is to strip it out and give it through shampooing then using a pressure nozzle rinse it a few times then let it sun dry completely, if it is not completely then you will get mold and that is worse than the smoke smell, next you have the heater/AC system, if it has a cabin filter, remove and spray some Lysol into the intake port with the system fan running then replace the cabin filter with a new one, if not equipped with a filter just spray the Lysol in the fresh air intake, then shut it off and let it set. Next get a good interior cleaner, preferably something from Mothers products, and clean the dash, door panels,etc. The headliner you can't do much for with it in the vehicle except spot cleaner, if you get it too wet it will fall down, but you can use some Febreeze on it, make sure you use brand name products. Don't forget the trunk, Febreeze works great in there too. Now you can put it all back together and that should take care of the smell except for some Lysol smell when you run the fan but that will dissipate in a few days. If you don't want to go the whole way then spray some Febreeze heavily inside the car and close it up for a while then use some of those little Febreeze vent clips work surprisingly well but they are short lived. HTH

Hi t-shoes. My compliments, better answer than mine

68,615

In addition to all of the above, don't run the climate control on "max" or "recirculate". This way you'll always have fresh air coming in to help get rid of the smell as well. HTH. -Jim