I have a 98 Toyota 4Runner. On take off it shakes really bad until I get to 20mph...then pretty much stops. When I get to about 40mph it starts again. What are some possibilities?

Asked by Jul 08, 2015 at 11:04 PM

It started get really bad over the weekend. Before it would start shaking when
I got to about 50mph.

2,905

First start with the wheel alignment, if not let me know

2,905

SOORRRRRYYYYYY, BALANCING CHECK THE BALANCING

275

I would take the vehicle in to a mechanic that you trust and make certain that the tires and rim are not out of round, then have the balance checked. Also, have the mechanic check the mounting of the shocks, transmission, engine and just about everything on the undercarriage for tightness. If that is all good, then I would have the alignment checked as well as the u-joints and cv joints. it's painful and is a process of elimination

Thank you. I will get it to someone ad soon as I can, and I will let you know what they say.

275

It doesn't happen very often anymore, but sometime the belts in radial tires break and cause you all kinds of problems from shaking and veering while driving to causing wrecks. When you have an unidentifiable problem like this, I always start with the tires and work in from there because "thems the things that nails you to the ground" and if something goes wrong with the tires, you're in deep doo-doo. Good luck with the elimination of your problems.

Finally got it to someone ( truck broke down on the road)....back rear u joint had froze up and the drive shaft fell off. All is good now.

275

That'll do it every time. Now, it's fixed, enjoy your vehicle.