2002 saturn wagon. Was told to replace converter. Did that now they say timing chain. Does that sound right?

Asked by Jul 03, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Car wouldn't start. Replaced the coil pack, starter, and plugs. Got it started but sounds
terrible. Lagging acceleration. Auto shop said converter$450. Did that now it's the
timing, $800. Seems kinda shady.

Sounds like they are doing the guessing game but i guess that is what I am doing the same thing but trying at a more cheaper cost by trying the simple things first. Check air filter and clean throttle body with throttle body cleaner spray and replace fuel filter if have not done so in a while. Add fuel injector cleaner to gas tank aka clean mass air flow sensor if your vehicle has one. After doing those things take vehicle out on road and hit the passing gear a few times this will help clean fuel injectors and remove any gum and carbon build.