What is the percentage of sales tax when buying a used car in South Carolina?

Asked by Jun 29, 2015 at 09:19 PM

72,315

If you live out of State (somewhere other than South Carolina) don't pay the sales tax when you buy in South Carolina. You'll pay the sales tax to your home State then they'll forward the sales tax due to South Carolina. I live in New Jersey and I bought a car in North Carolina from a dealer there. I didn't pay sales tax when I purchased the vehicle. When I got home I titled and registered the car in my home State of New Jersey. That's when I paid the sales tax. It was then New Jersey's responsibility to forward the sales tax due to North Carolina. Your situation is the same. HTH. -Jim

27,145

Hmm?? That's not the way it worked for me, Jim. When I bought my Mitsu Outlander at a dealer in PA, they factored in the 7% New Jersey sales tax into the final purchase price from the beginning (instead of the 6% Pennsylvania Sales Tax....man, that 1% difference hurt!!).

72,315

In that case, I believe PA kept the 6% and then sent the 1% to NJ. Did you finance the vehicle? I paid cash. That may have been the difference? -Jim

27,145

Yes I did finance the SUV, so I guess that was the difference.