94 ram 1500 5.9 4x4 Dies at about 30

Asked by Jun 21, 2015 at 04:28 PM

So I bought my truck a few days ago
and everything was fine. Then on my
way to work it died at about 30. All it
would do is crank. Replaced Coil,
Cam Sensor, Crank Shaft Sensor, it's
getting fuel. I'm thinking it could be
the Ignition switch? because when it
dies there's no sputter, it's like
someone just turned the key off
completely. It loses all of its spark.
No blown fuses. Need some help
guys...

It continues to die at 20-30, it won't die in idle

17,310

Quick question Does the vehicle run good up to the 20 - 30 or does it act like it has no power trying to get to the 20 - 30 mph.

17,310

Did you check to see if the plugs are getting spark ?

It runs fine minus the tranny slip but it just dies, as if I turned the key off. It gets spark up until it dies, then hit will crank for about 3 minutes and then it will finally start

17,310

You failed to mention to tyranny slipping. Is your toque converter locking up ?

17,310

Forget that last question.

No the converter isn't locking up

17,310

Its getting spark for sure? What about fuel for sure ? If it's getting spark and fuel as you say you need to recheck the right after it cuts off maybe an intermittent problem.

Now it won't even start, just cranks. And I can smell fuel. Seems like things are getting worse

17,310

After thinking about it I remember a while back I had brought this ford F 150 trunk forget the year but it would run fine like yours then would cut off. It had me puzzled for a while but come to find out there was a rubber gas line going to the tank that was collapsing cutting of gas flow the only way I found it I had to drop the gas tank low enough to see the lines going to tank then run the vehicle at idle and when it started to cut off noticed gas hose collapsing installed new hose solved the problem. Do not know if that is your problem but you need to check it out. Good Luck

We tested it and it's getting spark

I'll check those lines! I didn't think it would be a fuel issues because it starts back up but that makes sense

17,310

Oh you are getting to much gas. Scratch the last answer. That year is it a throttle body or carburetor ?

But also my truck won't die in idle

I'm not sure, I'm gonna say 94? I've only had this thing about a week and am just now getting into mechanical stuff myself. It's a throttle body

17,310

Remove hose from throttle body and look inside of it is it real dirty? If so clean could throttle body cleaner spray. Clean with an old tooth brush. If still gets to much gas maybe your gas pressure regulator.

17,310

Also check and replace air filter if needed.

Already put a whole can of throttle body cleaner in it the other day

And the filter is new as well :(

17,310

Not in the gas tank take hose off and look inside sometimes so much carbon build up has to be cleaned by hand.

Yeah we cleaned the throttle body the other day, you can eat off that thing if you want too. And the air filter is brand new

17,310

And if that fails you may have to look at it as you may have a broken timing belt or chain. I know you do not want to hear that since you just bought it . Would have to take to mechanic to check that.

17,310

Not broken but just jumped time from a few bad teeth on the timing gears.

no my budy checked that we are good on that

17,310

Well that's all I got sorry I could not help you.

We are gonna try the ignition switch, if that works I'll let yall know because I've been all over Google and this seems to be a common problem without an answer

17,310

One more thing check for a clogged catalytic converter that would cause gas to shoot back up through the throttle body because it can not go out of the exhaust.