Knock sensor

30

Asked by Jun 20, 2015 at 06:01 PM

I have a 2005 Impala. I took it to Sears and they said it was a
knock sensor code. And that I will have to take it to a Chevy
dealer. I checked gas cap but it still stays on. Would somebody
tell me what I can do. I was also told it might be electrical. I
don't have a lot of money. I'm on disability. Someone please
help.

148,635

Do you have the code they pulled?

30

P0332B

148,635

Ok That is indeed a knock sensor fault. It's sort of microphone that knows when detonation of fuel in cylinder, one of many sensors that control valve and ignition system timimg.. It is an electrical part. Do you know which engine you have, I found 3 possible a 2.4 a 3.2 or 3.4L then I can show where it is. You can replace it yourself with a few tools and a little automotive skill

30

3.8

148,635

I have been looking. The sensor look like this (actual part)

148,635

And there are two On lower left side of engine, near starter. and on lower right side of engine I's really sorry I can't find am image to show you. hope I was some help anyway

148,635

Here is something might help. Here and same other side of block click to size up

30

Can I drive it? Is it something I need to have fixed immediately? What is it for?

30

Is it expensive to have the dealer fix?

148,635

Afraid so. About $600 at shop and $800 dealer. Most of it is time..book time is 9 hour job

148,635

You can drive it. But not for a long time, A few days or weeks maybe but it's part of timing, If it runs well now, you can go a while

30

Thank you so much for the information. Should I have this fixed immediately. What is a knock sensor?

148,635

But also that is BOTH. If they can determine which one is bad = ½ cost

148,635

See my secondpost. It 'listens' for when detonation occurs inside and helps ECU adjust

148,635

I can't imagine why the labor is that much. It comes from a book of labor time for every repair. and serves two purposes; 1) keep mechanics honest, no overcharging, and it works both ways for tham. If they do it in less time, they still get yo charge 'book time, but if it takes longer then too bad, not your fault it took so long and can't charge more than book time

148,635

I was also looking at some car forums, Impala and Camaro. There are guys that say they have taken theirs off, with no trouble. But That is just passing information, can't vouch for accuracy. But still, it's not an absolutely critical thing, maybe lose a bit of economy but will not damage engine

30

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.