Will my black box in my car know if I put a bigger air filter in it?

10

Asked by Jun 18, 2015 at 06:33 PM

64,385

Could,air intake is controled by the black box/ECM,but most of the time it doesnt make any issue,s.

Best Answer
18,755

Seriously, a bigger air filter? ? Even if it did, which I actually doubt, why would you care? ?

10

Because if it knows it could void my insurance

18,755

OK, I see, you think it would throw off the air mixture of your engine. This is a much bigger deal on cars with carburetors, I think. More breathing on naturally aspirated engines are better or at least that was my understanding. How large of a filter were you thinking? I'm sure there's a limit?

18,755

Your insurance? You're not talking "nitrous oxide " , are you?

10

Im not really sure yet, obviously don't want to make it that noticeable just for safety of my insurance because I have my standard air box in at the minute and might just upgrade it only a little bit

Doesn't matter anyway. The MAF will measure the intake air flow and the ECU will compensate

64,385

Fordnut, has the right answer,could not have said it better.

18,755

Yes, you see, the extra air flow doesn't make a lot of difference. FordNut, your answer was great! Listen, you don't want to fool around with the Nitrous Oxide, really bad idea.

Thanks for the compliment guys.