I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4 door 4 wheel drive V8. Two months ago the fuel pump went out in it so I dropped the tank and replace the pump, fuel filter and fuel pump relay. Two weeks later the fuel pump relay burnt out on two of the legs. You can see the burn marks on the relay. Every 7 days like clock work the relay burns out in the same way. I dropped the tank and checked the connections and grounds. I followed the wire from the tank up to the relay and could not find any signs of damage to the wire or grounds. What could be happening? Could it be the pump that I put in?

170

Asked by Jun 12, 2015 at 12:35 AM

1999 Chevy Tahoe
4 Door
4WD
Fuel Pump relay burns out at 7 days
New Fuel pump

98,515

It is possible, if you have an inductive amp meter you can check the fuel pump amp draw. Did you replace the fuel pump pigtail at the tank, those are known failures. Double check the fuel pump ground back at the tank, you may have to take it loose and wire brush the contact area.