Have a 1997 Chevy blazer, ac isn't producing cold air. The compressor turns on and off repeatedly. What should i be looking for?

Asked by Jun 08, 2015 at 11:46 PM

9,935

If the clutch on the compressor is engaging on and off repeatedly, it typically means the system is low on charge. Pressure is cycling through the system making the binary pressure switch at the accumulator turn on and off. You most likely have a leak in the system which is typical for a vehicle that old.

Is That fixable?

9,935

Absolutely. It would be a significant cost though to have the system tested and diagnosed. I would recommend a lesser cost solution for the time being. Auto part stores sell 134a with stop leak in them. You could try re-charging the system with this. It may slow down or stop the leak all together. They also have 134a cans that have gauges on them to monitor system pressure while recharging. Just make sure to follow the instructions on the can when performing the recharge procedure. It's pretty straight forward.