I have seen truck I assume are owned by the railroads the can drive on the pavement and then move onto train tracks at which time they lower metal wheels that fit the track so they can drive on the track. First question is, is there a name for that type of vehicle? Second question is: is there any standard type of car, truck or machinery that can do something similar to ride on railroad tracks? Thanks much for any help you can give me. Rb

10

Asked by May 29, 2015 at 03:54 PM

I have seen truck I assume are owned by the railroads the can drive on the pavement
and then move onto train tracks at which time they lower metal wheels that fit the track
so they can drive on the track. First question is, is there a name for that type of
vehicle? Second question is: is there any standard type of car, truck or machinery that
can do something similar to ride on railroad tracks? Thanks much for any help you can
give me.  Rb

142,845

Don't even think about it. Driving on railroad tracks is not only highly illegal your butt will be in jail before you know what happened, There are RR police in places you cant imaging, and they will know immediately there is something on the track by whenever the rails conduct between them. They will stop trains and that's big trouble

24,095

Is this a serious question? Dude, you've been watching waaaay too many movies! James Bond 007 can get away with this nonsense, but like FordNut said...Don't even think about this, you will either: get your car or truck stuck on the tracks and then arrested or killed when a train plows into you. NEXT Question, please!!

10

Thank you both, but I am not thinking about driving on railroad tracks, I am writing a post-apocalypse story and want it to be as factual as possible. So thank you for your concern, but I have seen the trucks I have noted above and was hoping someone might actually have some helpful information about that type of truck, or how else it might be done. But as of now no one has been very helpful. Maybe others out there might have useful information. I hope so.

24,095

Thanks for the clarification, rbuso! Honestly, you would be shocked at some of the questions asked on here. If we knew the context of your question upfront, we would've responded differently. That being said, I was able to find something on Wikipedia on Road-Rail Vehicles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rail_vehicle -----> Here's a pic of one down below. Hope this is more helpful to you :)

24,095

Does my post help you at all @ rbuso?? Hope so :)