my 1992 Chevy 5.7 liter jumped time how do I set the timing on it I don't have a timing light?

Asked by May 25, 2015 at 10:53 PM

75

If your engine actually "jumped time" you will have to actually repair the chain or gear that moved. Ensure your correct in saying that it jumped by checking alignment of the timing gears along with the number 1 piston at Top Dead center.

77,895

If you don't have a timing light then you really can't set it properly, all you can do is bring the engine up to TDC on #1 and line the distributor rotor to the #1 electrode on the cap, this is just a ball park setting that should get drive able enough so you can get it somewhere to get it set right. But the real question is WHY it jumped time, is the distrubutor drive worn out, distributor drive gear on the cam bad, oil pump lock up shearing the pin on the distributor shaft. ??????

31,425

We need to know if the ignition timing jumped (distributor) or if the valve timing jumped (timing chain). If it is the valve timing a dis- assembly of the front of the engine is necessary to replace the timing chain and gears. If the distributor jumped time and it was properly secured and tightened then there is a problem with the distributor drive, gear or the cam shaft. Tennisshoes is correct on the method of bring the distributor into rough correct time.