My 96 Eclipse has sat for many years. Engines shot. By what I've read or talked to it would be best to replace engine all the way back to gas tank. If I rebuilt the engine there could be something min

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 05:30 PM

Miniscule that could ruin it. Thoughts???

70,365

Unless this car has sentimental value I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. You can remove the spark plugs and squirt oil in the cylinders. Then see if you can turn the engine by hand using the crankshaft pulley. If it turns it may run. Emphasis on MAY. When gasoline dries out it leaves behind varnish. Varnish is a thick gooey, smelly mess that has gummed up every part of the fuel system. Everything from the fuel injectors to the gas tank will need to be cleaned or replaced. Oil and coolant will need to be changed as well as transmission fluid. If stored outdoors, have critters moved in and chewed up the wiring harnesses, vacuum lines, etc. A big expensive job. HTH. -Jim