99 grand marquis. Bad starter. Installed new starter. New starter sounds weak, wont start. Battery ok. Installed new starter relay. Still doesn't seem to be getting power. Ground wire issue?

Asked by May 16, 2015 at 12:58 PM

335

if you can get a multimeter great!,put it on d.c.volts then red lead to positive cable at starter blk goes to neg.cable at battery cranck engine and read the multimeter,there should only be a 3 volt draw koeo,12v when cranck volt should drop to no less than 9 volts. s

No access to a multimeter. Stuck where I dont know anyone to borrow. Desperate to get car going so I can get me and kids out of a bad situation. I'm under the car now about to cut ground wire and replace with the one thatcame with the starter. Is there anything else that should be done/reset prior to hooking neg battery cable and then trying to crank...

6,955

Damaged batterycables or corroded terminal ends

Batt cables good. Reread all documents that came with new starter. They supplied new grounding cable because Ford found that historically the first 4 inches would be damaged. Just finished installing. Going to heat seal, hook everything back up, say a prayer and try to crank. Wish me luck

And.....now the battery is dead. Will get it charged and try again

6,955

Fingers crossed...........

Removed NEW starter. Retested only to find out there was a broken wire in the solenoid. Bad starter out of the box. Warranty replaced for free. Back to square one. More cuts and bruising for my arm on the way.....