I have a 1976 Chevrolet C10 when I put it in drive I can feel it catch but why won't it go when I give it gas?

Asked by May 15, 2015 at 06:35 AM

7,640

does it have fluid? has it been rebuilt in the last......say, 40 years? Have you cared for it properly? lets see, what color is the fluid now when you wipe it on a paper towel? what does it smell like ?

I'm only 24 man an yes I just did I transmission flush it still has fresh atf but according to the dip stick it took ten quarts? When I did the flush I originally put 7 quarts an it wanted to catch an go but the transmission dip stick said it was dry? Now with ten quarts it don't wanna move at all? I just recently bought the truck tryin to bring it back to life.

The old fluid was burnt but there wasn't a lot of metal shavings just the usual not a lot at all?

7,640

An empty rebuilt unit with empty converter and no added cooler takes 12.5 quarts, (th350). it does not hurt a th350 to have too much fluid by areation unless you see foam in the sampling. An incorrect or bent dipstick can mess up your trans's life by false reading......The filter is new? correctly installed? gasket flipped the right way there and the screws went through it correctly?

7,640

You must have a deep pan or something else was drained out. a th350 pan and filter is like 3.5 quarts and with added cooler and running it shortly its up to 5, so you are opening a cooler line to get it out? the additional? Did you have black schit in the pan after pouring off the fluid? Or just the normal grayish brownish pile in one spot? and some brass shavings. If you did not want to rebuild, the best additive for a slipper is BG atc. I think. Then add up to above the full mark and let it get to hot when warm, that negates the wrong dipstick theory. But answer about the filter?

7,640

Burnt fluid means burnt clutches and blued steels, so the chemical in the atc additive can try to rejuvenate the clutches. Having to add as much as you said means it had to be low or you have whats called a converter drainback, and during your process you were able to remove a considerable amount more than normal.........What exactly did you do ?

7,640

it would help to describe the procedure...................................and tell me how careful you were with the filter and its gasket.............yours has what kind of fasteners? and you faced the gasket and lined it up right? You can see where you may have a concern....right? But it must be drawing fluid or you would not need excess quarts. Did you collect ten quarts of spent fluid?