1989 Chevy silverado. Creaking noise when I turn??

Asked by May 03, 2015 at 01:58 AM

When I'm driving slow and turning
my front end makes an obnoxious
creaking noise. It kind of sounds like
it's coming from my steering with
under the hood but I'm now sure.

Use a tube to your ear or a long tool if you do not own a stethescope. Isolate sources caused by water entry or mechanical condition. if water gets in, it displaces the grease. they gain a rust film on them. You have to change these parts because the failure within weakens them. stabilizer bar links and bushings can also be replaced and lubed with dielectric grease. Inspect frame members and steering box bolts. rivets or frame bolts etc.

If you hold onto them you can feel vibration within them by hand. steering linkage especially.

Bushings and balls can also be involved as well as body parts that may need bolts or tightening. the years on the road add up for an 89 it is not necessarily one little thing. but on a budget, isolate the loudest and do them first as money permits.

Mark Grignon

I can almost guarantee it is the ball joints causing the creaking noise. Grease them up.

also, check the wheel bearings, had a similar sound on my 05 and it turned out to be wheel bearings.