Do you know the Answer?

58,315

Asked by May 02, 2015 at 05:11 PM

You have fuel,air,spark,oil,coolant and compression,what else doe,s it take to make and
engine run?

33,415

Unfortunately, a computer.....

58,315

Good answer reelin,but old school car do not need a ECU.

58,315

But i will add your answer to the question.

6,775

How about a battery.

33,415

Timing....

Best Answer
6,775

Oil

6,775

A key

33,415

There are many silly little things that will make a car not start. Even the old school ones. For example, I worked with a guy who couldn't get his old 60's Firebird to fire up. If I remember correctly, he had fuel, air , and spark. After weeks of pulling his hair out, he discovered that the dwell of his distributor was backwards. Go figure.

33,415

I may not have said that correctly. I think what happened was the Firebird distributor turns the exact opposite of a Chevy. I think he may have put the firing order of his plugs like that of the old V8 Chevy. At any rate, it wouldn't start. But now that I think about it, I think it was the plug wires that were all out of whack due to the fact the the Firebird was completely backwards from the old Chevys.

58,315

Timeing was what i was looking for,you got it reelin.

142,895

Somebody to turn key.....

31,395

You need fuel, properly timed compression and properly timed spark to make an engine run. Oil and antifreeze is not necessary to make it run. Oil and antifreeze (coolant) are necessary to make it last.

142,895

Actually Bob lots of cars won't run without oil. ASD switches

20

He said old no asd switches

31,395

OP said old school car without computer. It will run for a few minutes or longer without oil. Won't do it any good, but it will run.

142,895

Hmm. I stand corrected gentlemen. One time we had an old Ford Maverick, that we took out in the desert and played demo derby. We thrashed it and punched a hole in the oil pan, all oil came out. We laid bets, $5 each I took the 15 minutes, started the car and the car ran for 33 minutes, at a high idle about 1500 rpm and finally seized. The bets ran from 2 minutes to 60 minutes

19,225

spark plugs... yes,no no..something to control the fuel/air/timing

31,395

Sparkplugs not required. Think diesel, spark can be accomplished by high compression and fuel mixture alone.

19,225

come on.... spark plugs not required... i thought steam engine.. anything for 5 points....

19,225

the only answer is this..it needs a way to start ..nothing will happen without using some kind of force to start the rotation/in and out..

31,395

Starting is easy....Push to start, hand crank or explosive device (used in very old airplanes).

19,225

i guess you didnt read the question up top...come on mannnnn...hey bob..looks like the beginning of a beautiful relationship`````````````i just thought of what tst is asking.... money

58,315

Yes,definatly,kelly if is, that nice,

19,225

money...for street

19,225

cheaper to build this for the track....but this is for both..thanks all.

33,415

Riddle me this: You just drive off the frozen lake with your '89 Toyota 4X4 pickup. As you drive off the ice and into a snow covered parking lot, your truck dies. Can't get it to start again. You're there all by yourself. It's cold and you have no tools. Out of desperation to get home, you call a buddy that has a car dolly. He shows up to get you. He backs the dolly up to the front of your rig. Ramps are out and vehicle needs to be pushed up the ramps and into the dolly. The problem is, your buddy forgot to bring a winch. It's only the two of you and the parking lot is all snow and ice. How do you get the truck up on the dolly? There's no way you and your buddy can push it by hand. There's no body else there. The truck is a standard shift 4X4. The truck will crank over, but won't fire up.

33,415

This is the older model with the clutch cancel switch also.

6,775

if you have manual lock out front hubs unlock them and with a small running space, back the dolly into it and hope for the best.

33,415

That's a good thought but the ramps are the ones that just click into a slot. They're not affixed to the dolly. They would instantly pop out upon impact. That's also a good way to jack knife the dolly right into your truck even if they were attached. Remember, it's all ice and snow.

19,225

if there is a rope the answer is easy..use the support cars drive tire for the winch

33,415

No rope....

142,895

.

142,895

Just put it in gear and crank the engine. It will go up the ramp

33,415

Ding, ding, ding.....We have a winner! Right after popping it in 4wd! Nice job Fordnut!

142,895

Hey... just don't overthink...

58,315

LOL,me i would have brought a tow rope,,not dolly.

19,225

yea but its a automatic ...now what????

58,315

Reelin said,standard kelly,i know better than to pull a automatic : )

33,415

Tow ropes are illegal in most states. Like mine, Vermont. You're talking dead of winter, nasty roads. It's standard shift. Like it says above. Dolly is really the only choice. It's also about a 15 mile drive home. Sometimes the easy way isn't the legal way. Like you can't shoot a deer from your car. Easy...yet illegal.....

58,315

Where i live reelin,i kill deer,s all the time from my car/truck lol,but not with a gun,with the vehicle.

33,415

Let me guess....Pennsylvania? That's the road kill capitol of the U.S. There's more deer killed there by cars than by hunters! I should move there and buy a truck with a freezer on the back! Free food for life.... ;)

33,415

Here's a Macgyver scenario for you guys: You go out ice fishing with your pickup and flat bed trailer. You have all your equipment on the trailer. 4 wheeler, power auger, portable shanty, sled with tip ups, heater, tackle box. The tackle box contains, hooks, split shot sinkers, pliers, steel leaders, fish line, fillet knife. You fish all day. When it becomes close to dark, you pack it all in and head for shore. When you finally get to the parking lot on the shore, you notice that you have no trailer lights at all. Upon inspection, you realize that the deep snow on the lake ripped the wires from under your trailer. All the wires are there, just broken and hanging loose on the ground. You need to fix the wires so you can make it home with brake lights and tail lights. You have no tools, just what is in your tackle box. How do you repair the trailer wires to make it home without being pulled over for no tail lights?

58,315

Im in georgia reelin,and you take the filet knife and skin wires back,then take the splitshot sinkers and place on the splice and squeeze them into the splice,s to connect the wire,s back together.

58,315

Forgot to say use pliers to squeze splitshot.

33,415

Damn, dude, you're pretty quick for a guy that's never been ice fishing! That's exactly what I did to make it back home! Nice work!

58,315

Marine,s will learn you how to do a lot,left in jungle for 34 day,s in south america,no water, food,or anything,i survived off stream water and grub worm,s,and what little protein i got was from earth worm,s, true story,wished i would have had a tackle box : )

58,315

One more thing, i watch suvivor and laugh at that show,they dont, know what a true suvivor is.

33,415

Damn, that's some rough living! They needed to issue the good old Popeil Pocket fisherman too! I guess that's why there's no fat Marines.... ;)

33,415

I was so disappointed when that show came out. I thought it was going to be a group of people just dumped on an island. Was hoping it would show how each guy survived. Man, was I wrong! But there's that new show Naked and Afraid. That looks like some real rough survival. But you never really know. Being Hollywood and all that. The people do drop some serious weight by the end of the show. Looks real enough. Would not want to do that show. I saw one couple dropped out in the middle of the bijou swamp! No clothes. Gators and snakes every where! Check that show out.