MECHANICS ? Help please. Old age or lots of miles ? which one ends up costing more in repairs ?

Asked by Apr 29, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Age related car problems ??

what can a 1997 or 2000 car expect to need fixing because of age ?

I know dry rot etc happens + have no idea what to expect for labor and parts, and what will almost always happen with that old of a car.

Since labor is so high, compared to parts costs, I'm concerned about dry rot or anything that can get "old" and need replacement such as gaskets, hoses, anything rubbery etc that can dry rot.  plus anything else that tends to go bad with age.

I received a 1997 chevy lumina from my grandmother and it only has 10,000 miles on it. I see something leading to the tires that looks like a donut shaped spongey rubber thing that looks like dry rot could be starting.  So now not sure if I should keep the car or get a newer 2005 ford Taurus or 2005 buick lesabre or something in order to avoid repairs of dry rotty things.

Which normally needs more car repairs ?

A 1997 car with only 10,000 original miles,
A 2000 Car with 75,000 miles on it ,
a 2005 with over 130,000 - 160,000 miles on it.

Old age or lots of miles ? which one ends up costing more in repairs ?

Prof you take care of your car it will last a life to,e I've got a dodge omni with a million 92000 miles on it engine rebuilt at 999000 Mike's trans rebuilt twice once at trans shop once by me. For your. Question I Probly the older it gets the more you'll spend but if you t shirt me care of it it will last

A 1997 car that has that few miles has sat a lot which isn't good for any machine, but if it was kept in a dry garage it's worth saving especially since it's free. Change ALL of the fluids and give it a set of tires, inspect the brakes, it's still a lot cheaper than buying another car.

Raymond that's amazing - a million 92,000 miles on the dodge Omni - What year is it, and how many things that dry rot needed replacing ? What I'm seeing looks like a thick rubbery washer - between two metal parts, leading to the tires underneath the car. also is there any way to get the lumina to have a softer more comfortable ride ?? It is jarring going over bumps, manhole covers, lines in the road, etc. I have a 2000 Buick Lesabre and that has a more "floaty" and comfortable ride compared to the Lumina. It almost feels like you're floating above the road on the highway, very smooth ride.

Camaro Collector - It was kept in a dry garage, but it does have rusty metal underneath. (I really need to learn the names of car parts, so I can have a more productive conversation in here - : ) I was told two different things about changing fluids, so don't know what to go with... Someone said have the brake fluid vacuumed out (they said they remove it near the tires, and suck it out of there, which uses some force - So others said don't even change it, because the force of the change could blow open any thin rusty spots and then you have a hole to repair. They said that about a radiator flush also. 2 people said the brake fluid looking "dirty" doesn't matter, just leave it alone so you don't cause damage to the car. I am tempted to just get one of those syphon kits and get as much out as I can, ( I know it will still have a lot of old fluid in it though) and just do that a few times, hoping it mixes up and dilutes the old fluid each time I syphon and add more new fluid to it ??? Wish I could do some of these things myself, they said it's $100. to suck the brake fluid out, and More than that to do the radiator flush.

It's better to change the brake fluid now and find rusty lines than to find them while driving down the road. Yes having some of this done cost a bit but it's still cheaper than a car payment.