2005 Caravan

45

Asked by Apr 27, 2015 at 09:34 AM

removing windshield wipers on 2005 Caravan.  one of the nuts hold the wiper arm on the splined (cone-shape) shaft is rusted badly and deteriorated. A wrench or socket won't do it.  Any suggestions on how to remove the nut?  I could cut with a Dremel or maybe drill small holes in the nut until it falls apart?  any other ideas?  thanks! Stevo

78,305

As the wiper arm where your problem is, is just aluminum cast then you could just cut a V in that and break it away then you could get a vise grip on the nut, seem strange it would rust, I thought those were stainless steel nuts, unless someone lost one and just put on a regular nut. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

45

Yep, the rusting is strange. Here's a pic. Thanks for all the suggestions. Stevo

45

See photo. I cut off the aluminum edge, but still can't get a grip on the nut, even with a vise grips. I'm thinking of just cutting away at the nut with a hacksaw until it weakens, add heat gently, and hopefully breaks loose. Any other ideas? I'm worried about damaging the wiper spline.......

78,305

I would go ahead and cut off the wiper arm as close to the nut without damaging the splines. then get a small metal cut off wheel for your dremel and carefully make cuts toward the shaft, the more the better, doing this will weaken the arm part that is left hopefully allowing you to break it out from under the nut, taking the stress off the nut and allowing a better grip to get it out. After you get the notches cut and the pieces removed soak the nut with a little diesel overnight, I have seen diesel work where all of the other stuff failed.

45

thanks for the suggestion. I got a #426 Dremel cutting wheel and tried one more thing before trying your method. I cut one side of the nut off with a hacksaw, very carefully, close to the splined bolt. I think this took some stress off the nut. Then I took the Dremel wheel and cut a notch in the nut on the other side. (wear eye protection!) I was then able to use a small standard screwdriver (it was already broke on the end, so no loss) and place it in the notch, then tapping lightly/firmly with a hammer on the screwdriver counter clockwise. After about 20 taps the nut finally turned. It had several treatments of PB blaster over about a week. Now to find a new nut for it, that may not be cheap. THANKS AGAIN!! Stev0

78,305

Make sure it is stainless steel so it won't rust again.

45

will do. here's a pic. wiper works, and it's raining like crazy today. HA