How do I report an unethical used car dealer (Rover Classic / Saab Classic in Staten Island, NY)?

Phil Han

Asked by Apr 21, 2015 at 09:45 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know about my experiences with Rover Classics in Staten
Island, NY. I was looking to purchase a 1989 Range Rover County with them that I saw
on ebay. After inquiring on the vehicle and speaking with Mike I agreed to purchase the
vehicle for a total out the door price of $12,700. This included shipping to Texas.

I then asked him to send me an invoice and he replied, very rudely, saying he won't
send an invoice unless I send him a $500 deposit. I was surprised at his response and
felt he was being rude but at that time nothing more. So, I spoke with him just to confirm
the condition of the vehicle and the price and afterwards I sent him the deposit.

After sending him the deposit he sends me an invoice for a HIGHER amount. I said this
is different than the amount we agreed on - he suggested that these are all dealer fees
that are listed on his website. I told him we had agreed upon an out the door price - of
course he disagrees. This made me uncomfortable and also made me question the car
itself which he claims was in great shape. So I asked him to refund my deposit and that
we no longer have a deal since he changed the price on me. He refused. This all
happens in a span of 10 hours and he said his policy is to never refund a deposit even
after 1 second of receiving it. Now I know why he wanted me to send him the deposit
before he would send me the invoice. I called him asking to refund my deposit and he
called me a "dick".

I have bought a lot of cars sight unseen and always had a very good experience except
this one so wanted to let everyone know about this so no one else loses money to this

Have to see his eyes, shake his hand, see the vehicle, and have it inspected by your tech, then you can make a deal from a wise place for negotiation. With the immediate and future needs of the vehicle determined by your trusted man. otherwise walk away, he would already know, you may command more respect during a sale negotiation being patient and deliberate. If that's what a dick is ? Be a huge one !

I guess if Phil Han is talking about me ( roverclassic ) so I should respond. We never agreed on the final price, my message to him was 12000 for the car and 700 for the delivery. Han was sent to the site if he wanted to complete the sale. My website clearly lists document fee that will be added to EACH car that is sold. Han read the terms of sale and agreed to them before making the deposit. I do not scam people, everything is right there in very simple terms.

Phil Han

Why would I send you a deposit without agreeing to a price? If you are honest you will return my $500. C-- rating on BBB

because you did not read TOS

Phil Han

For anyone interested in buying a car from them please google "rover classic staten island" and look at all the negative reviews, the C minus rating on the BBB website, the 1 star rating on yelp. Buyer Beware!

Han, You can jump as high as you want, I follow TOS, You read it, you Agreed to it, you made a deposit.

Seems like the customer has a number in his head after asking for the bottom line. Then he finds out there's another bottom line. Then he finds out when he wants to cancel, it's non refundable. I personally think customers will pay the amount on the bottom line if it stays constant. If they discuss additions, they need to be shown that they are changing the bottom line. If they hand over something non refundable, it should be called the "non-refundable-deposit" not just the deposit.

That will be $ 60,000 consulting fee for how to raise the rating on BBB. Under promise and over deliver....A quote from the worlds greatest dealership employee