2001 chevy tahoe came to a stop and puttered then died, gas gage registered at 1/4 tank, then after putting gas in n trying repeatedly to start the gas gage reads below empty n wont start..

Asked by Apr 10, 2015 at 02:13 PM

65,935

Sounds like the gas gauge was lying and you inadvertently ran out of gas. Trouble is by running out of gas there's a good possibility that the fuel pump is now burned out. Try this, turn the ignition on but don't try to start it. You should hear the fuel pump run for 3 to 5 seconds. If not get a hammer and hit the bottom center of the gas tank. See if that gets you going. HTH. -Jim