puddle driver's side

10

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 03:54 PM

I have had a puddle on the driver's side of my car for quite  awhile.

The mechanic told me that the leak was in the cowl.  He asked if I'd ever been in an accident and I had been.   someone had run into the driver's side door.

The mechanic told me that was the auto body shop's fault. They hadn't sealed the seam well enough.  (btw, my car has not been in any other major accidents ...just some back bumper stuff)

I took the car back to the auto body shop.  They were willing to repair the problem (they said).  2 weeks later I got a call that the problem could never have been caused by them but they sealed the seam anyway.

long story shorter, problem still not fixed. They were not honest with me when I first brought my car in so I have to wonder if they even did the work.

I don't know whether to pursue this legally; to get it fixed through some other means or to just let go of the car.

what do you think? do you think there could be another explanation and that they aren't at fault?  The mechanic who originally ckd out my7 car said that without this water leak problem, the car was in excellent condition.

thanks!

68,695

Since you stated that it's been "quite awhile" I doubt that you have any legal recourse. Unless you're within the body shop's written warranty time period. I suspect that either the door is not properly lined up with the body of the car, the weather-stripping is damaged, or the drain holes in the bottom of the door are damaged/sealed from the repair job. If this is a late model car you might consider having another body shop replace the whole door. It'll be cheaper than taking the original body shop to court and less time consuming. HTH. -Jim

10

So you don't even think that the problem is the cowl? you think the problem is the door? See, this is the problem. To spend a ton of money over and over trying to figure out what's wrong only to be spinning might not be my best option. Just not sure what to do...thank you so much!

68,695

Without seeing the car it's hard to tell. But unless the car was hit really hard yes I think it's the door. HTH. -Jim

10

You are so great for taking the time to answer. The mechanic I took the car to is considered one of the best in the area. He actually found an open seam. It could be that both areas are warped. The door might be off too. thank you so much for taking the time!!!!!!

68,695

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for letting us know and for the kind words. Glad you found the problem and are getting it fixed. - Jim