I have a 1997 ford explorer i put it in gear but it won't move what should i do

Asked by Mar 07, 2015 at 09:45 PM

96,875

If the tranny fluid is any other color than red it maybe already too late, but you could try servicing the tranny and change the filter and cross your fingers.

Thanks an the color is black gray looking

96,875

Not good, that color usually means it is burned up.

So my thing is can it be saved by still changing the filters

96,875

Doubtful, but i can tell you this: I had t tranny that the fluid was totally burnt black and it did not move, I dropped the pan just to check it for metal shavings, if I had found any in the pan I would have stopped right there but I didn't so I went ahead and changed the fluid and filter, added a quart of TranX then finished refilling it to the full level, tried running it through the gears but nothing happened, so i thought yeah it is toast, shoved it out of the way and just left there for about 4 days, then I had to move it so I could get to some tires along side of my shop, so I got my help and fired it up put it in reverse and it moved under it's own power, I said wow it moves, got around out of the way got the tires out all this time it was out there idling, hoped in it put it in drive and away it drove, all of the gears were there even the overdrive, it shifted quite well so I put it in as a parts getter rig it went back and froth from my shop to a local parts store about 4 times a day at 10 miles there and back, after about a year that way I dropped the tranny pan just too see if anything had appeared, still clean, i sold it about month later and they show up about every 3 months for an oil change and say it hasn't given them any trouble other than the overdrive solenoid sticking but as they use it for an around town rig they don't care, gonna run it till the wheels fall off. just something you should know as it was a personal experience on what I considered a burned out tranny.

Best Answer

Wow before it went out i noticed that the over drive light was coming on an off an now this happened im going to try what you told me in the morning a pray it works

246,665

O/D light blinking on and off was a first indication of a transmission issue and you should never driven with it on for further damage might occur. Transmission don't like heat. Let's hope a fluid change will help in your case, but in most cases it's too late for that.

Wow ok