I just bought a 98 Silverado z71 ran it hard , it starting making a knocking noise , turned it off n now it won't turn on

Asked by Mar 07, 2015 at 11:26 AM

9,055

How was the oil pressure. Was there smoke, burning oil smell. Does it turn over normally or is it seized or partially seized. If any of these are the case, drain the oil and inspect for metallic debris. If not you will have to describe the noise and what is happening when you try to start it in more detail.

Best Answer

It's basically just clicks like the battery's dead , oil pressure is low , battery light n check engine light on

Yes there was a burning smell

9,055

Not good. Sounds like a bearing went and seized to your crank shaft. I would lean towards the rod bearings.

Can't b anything else

It's got a low mile crate motor

9,055

Bearings can be defective, Installed wrong, oil contamination, etc. The knocking is what leans me towards the rod (been there a few times), if it was a main it would just smoke and squeal until it seized (been here too). Since it's already locked up you can try a breaker bar on the main pulley/balancer, just don't pull to hard to break the bolt off, you will be able to tell right away if it's seized. If your worried turn it backwards, if the bolt loosens before the crank turns you know. Sucks that it was a newer motor. You didn't describe a loud bang so the rod(s) didn't break (problem on smaller/newer engines, the bearing seizes causing the rod to break and hole punch your block (been here too!!)

Should I try n push start it

9,055

No. Try turning the crank as I described above. If it's seized there will be no way to turn the motor over without breaking something with out releasing the bearing cap. If you have a manual you will most likely wreck you clutch. Auto is not possible. If you put too much force on a seized rod bearing the rod may break destroying your block. If you can manage to get it to turn and attempt to run the engine the contaminated oil will damage more components and turn this into a major rebuild or worse new motor. Once the bearing goes it's best to stop and not make it worse. I've tried it all and you do not want a hole in your block.

Ok thank u , I tryd turning crank , motor is seized , I literally owned the truck 12 hrs n this happened, any suggestions on getting a new motor or if this 1 is worth a rebuilding

9,055

Depends on your budget. It's hard to say what a rebuild would cost until the extent of the damage is known, mostly the crank. 12 hrs! That sucks. If your on a tight budget I would look for a running parts truck with lower km's swap the motor and then you can peek at the other one (assuming you have time and space). There are plenty of frustrated people out there with blown up 4L60e's and you may be able to find a decent motor.